Thursday, October 20, 2011

Visual Thinking Research

I decided to let my roommate in on this fun excerise. We ended up doing more puzzles than what were assigned because we had so much fun, but these are the first two puzzles we finished separately. 

PUZZLE 1

In this puzzle I had no idea where to begin. I started by trying to find a pattern in which way the lines were traveling, which the reading said is "related to the act of thinking." But the forth didn't make sense to me and put me at a standstill. I thought back to the lecture and thought to try and see the bigger picture and that Gestalt was at play again. One of the exercises in class was a subtraction process to find the right answer. I subtracted the outside and found the middle figure are part of the objects making the number system and came up with the answer E. My roommate had a little bit different  experience and  after not coming up with a process in finding the answer she gave up and guessed B because it looked like it could be apart of a pattern. I might have found the correct solution because of the lecture, I had an edge over her. 

PUZZLE 2

This puzzle was quite different and we both came up with the right answer immediately. I would like to give it to the Visual Memory and Folding Pattern Laws of Gestalt but really it was process of elimination for us. What month has 4 letters out of our 12 month calender? July or June. Then I guess it was the Folding Pattern we saw to be sure it was July.

No comments:

Post a Comment